Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Antique Wicker Rocker

I have been expressing concern about my finances, so today I went out and bought an antique wicker rocker. Yes, I know this makes no sense, but I knew if I didn't get it I would regret it for the rest of my days. No-I don't get overly dramatic. It is very shabby chic, and I am debating if I should give it a spray over with white paint. What do you all think?
The day started going to church with a friend and wrapping boxes for Christmas gifts to be given to poor children. It was a lot of fun. My friend and I went to the dollar store to buy things to put in my 4 boxes. That was a good feeling-getting toys, colors, coloring books, toothpaste, soap, etc. Sad to think that it means so much to some kids and other kids have to have hundreds of dollars worth of hi-tech stuff to make them happy. Our church plans to have over 100 boxes to ship out.
After church we went to the Antique Store where I bought the chair. I was feeling kind of guilty for spending the money, but rationalized it out by thinking-when I am poor and have no house-I will have my rocker. Sounds good to me.

4 comments:

Weavin' Wicker Woman said...

Ladies,

Love your vintage rocker and would suggest you not change it at all.

Just to give you some information about your piece; it's a vintage Art Deco style paper wicker piece. It was made in the 1930s and would originally have had an inner-spring drop-in cushion seat, with matching upholstered back section.

The flat metal pieces are still probably attached to the small springs under the cushion if you look, or it might have had just the open hole for the inner-spring cushion to drop down into.

Most likely this wicker rocker would not have been painted, but rather a dark brown colored paper that was treated with either shellac, lacquer or varnish.

If you do decide to alter the finish, you can find instructions on painting wicker furniture on my website at http://www.WickerWoman.com/wicker-faq

Check out my entire site for loads of information on caring for your wicker and lots more hints and tips on chair caning, wicker furniture and basketry!

http://www.WickerWoman.com

Concerned-Citizen said...

Welcome Cathryn. Thank you for the information. It just has the open hole for the inner-spring cushion to drop down into. Glad to know I should not paint it.
I quickly ran through your web site, and plan to go back and take my time through it. It is a very interesting site.
I see we use to be neighbors-we lived in Adams about 40 miles South of Rochester, and close to the Iowa border. I loved MN but am not missing that cold.
Thanks again for your comment and hope to hear from you again.

Kathy said...

Kathy, I love your new purchase! I agree with Cathryn, dont paint it! The pic is great...you are becoming quite a photographer...

Kathy said...

I must add that I love the fabric on the cushions...its just great...so pretty and so "florida!"